The SPAS-12, known in Italy as the Franchi SPAS-12, is an end-game shotgun. This is by far the most accurate shotgun in the game and is pretty much its largest upside. It has a tight spread and is deadly at a close-to-medium range. Both are helpful traits in the game.
Prior to the apocalypse, the SPAS-12 was an extremely prevalent shotgun used by dozens of special forces and police teams. It packs quite a punch, and with the help of a full choke, the spread was perfected to be able to engage in longer ranged combat than previous shotguns that came without a choke. This, with the fact that it has many attachments that increase its flexibility, makes the SPAS-12 a formidable weapon.
Somewhere along the way, this aspect of the gun was lost during production. Some say R-Brain Hardwork simplified the design way too much — folding the stock in, removal of all the safety mechanisms, and the controversial move to decrease the firing velocity. This caused it to lose both punch and accuracy. A statement issued says that these were changes made to make sure everyone can handle such a heavy weapon.
Some people have trouble believing this.
- This is a fast firing, pump-action shotgun. Treat it as such.
- This is a great tool for crowd control.
- Like other shotguns, using third-person is the way to go.
- This weapon has the potential to instantly kill any mob on a headshot that isn't a Brute. Use this to your advantage.
- Regardless, it's still great for taking out Brutes.
- This weapon doesn't benefit from crouching or ADS'ing since the spread is tight enough.
- Try shooting the zombies in the centre of your screen, since shooting them at the side will probably lead to most of the pellets not hitting your target.
- The stored ammo on this gun are shells, not mags.
- High Damage
- High DPS
- High Total Damage
- Quick Reload
- No Attachments
- Range changed from 210 to 160.
- Rank changed from 25 to 18.
- Range decreased from 160 to 90.
- Damage changed from 31x8 to 22x8.
- Rank changed from 18 to 20.
- Rank changed from 20 to 21.
- Accuracy changed from 60 to 80.
- This is a returning weapon from R2D 2014, as well as the third shotgun in R2DA.
- In Debug, the Spas-12 was offered for 75,000$.
- This was changed to 55,000$ when it was actually added.
- This is the first weapon to have two restricted skins applied to it.
- The Rank required to unlock this weapon dropped from 25 to 18 in v0.8.4; this was the first occasion where a Prestige Rank would be required for a gun.
- This has the lowest damage for a single bullet with 22.
- However, as 8 pellets are fired at the same time, take this with a grain of salt.
- The FAMAS used to also share this record, but no longer does due to receiving multiple buffs.
- During v0.9.3, this was one of the weapons that were affected by a glitch that applied drop-off damage very early.
- Oddly enough, the folding stock has been folded in and it cannot be used.
- SPAS stands for "Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun", but the first word was originally "Special".
- Also, one in real life has a capacity of 8 shells compared to the capacity of 6 you see in-game.
- The 12 has no official meaning, but it probably means 12-gauge as it fires that round.
- This weapon is also in Left 4 Dead 2, a part of R2DA's inspiration, and is nicknamed the Combat Shotgun.
- The iteration in that game, however, is semi-automatic while our Spas-12 is simply pump-action.
- The firing sound comes from the shotgun featured in the Halo franchise, however, its pitch is different.
- This is one of the best weapons in Team Deathmatch and Free For All due to how much damage it outputs in each pump.