- "Another returning weapon from the previous outbreak, but this time it's more powerful and ready to kill people and the Infected, isn't just that wonderful?!"
The SPAS-12 (Special Purpose Automatic Shotgun 12 gauge), known in Italy as the Franchi SPAS-12, is by far the most accurate shotgun available to survivors, that being its best advantage. It has a tight spread and is deadly at a close-to-medium range, but both are helpful traits altogether.
Prior to the apocalypse, the SPAS-12 was a renowned shotgun used by dozens of special forces and police teams. Its deadly burst damage and choked spread were perfected to be able to engage in longer-ranged combat than previous shotguns that came without one. This weapons malleability has made it an ideal choice for anyone that wants a balance of range, damage and ease of use.
Somewhere along the way, this aspect of the gun was lost during production. Whispers of R-Brain Hardwork simplifying its design had been heard throughout. The stock was folded in, the safety mechanisms removed and the decreased firing velocity had caused it to lose efficiency. Though controversial as it may be, good intentions could be around the blind negativity, as statements were issued, saying that these aspects of the weapon were changed to make sure everyone can handle such a heavy weapon.
- This is a fast firing, pump-action shotgun. Treat it as such.
- This is a great tool for crowd control.
- Like other shotguns, using third person highly recommended.
- This weapon has the potential to instantly kill any regular mob on a headshot that isn't a Brute. Use this to your advantage.
- Regardless, it's still great for taking out Brutes.
- This weapon doesn't benefit from crouching or ADS'ing since the spread is tight enough.
- Try shooting the zombies in the centre of your screen, since shooting them at the side will probably lead to most of the pellets not hitting your target.
- The stored ammo on this gun are shells, not mags.
- This is one of the best weapons in Team Deathmatch and Free For All due to how much damage it outputs in each pump.
- This is even more so the case in Party Deathmatch due to everyone not having additional health.
- High Damage
- High DPS
- High Total Damage
- Quick Reload
- No Attachments
- Range changed from 210 to 160.
- Rank changed from 25 to 18.
- Range decreased from 160 to 90.
- Damage changed from 31x8 to 22x8.
- Rank changed from 18 to 20.
- Rank changed from 20 to 21.
- Accuracy changed from 60 to 80.
- Rank changed from 21 to 28.
- Damage changed from 22x8 to 23x8.
- This is a returning weapon from R2D 2014, as well as the third shotgun in R2DA.
- The in-game Spas-12 can only be used in pump-action, though in real life it can also be used as a semi-automatic.
- In Debug, the Spas-12 was offered for 75,000$.
- This was changed to 55,000$ when it was actually added.
- During v0.9.3, this was one of the weapons that were affected by a glitch that applied drop-off damage very early.
- Oddly enough, the stock cannot be used, as it is always folded.
- SPAS stands for "Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun", but the first word was originally "Special".
- Its real counterpart has a capacity of 8 shells compared to the capacity of 6 you see in-game.
- Additionally, the real counterpart is also adjustable between semi-automatic to automatic. This is not possible in R2DA.
- The 12 has no specified meaning, but it hints toward the SPAS firing 12-gauge shells.
- This weapon is also in Left 4 Dead 2, a part of R2DA's inspiration, and is nicknamed the Combat Shotgun.
- The iteration in that game, however, is semi-automatic while our Spas-12 is simply pump-action.
- The firing sound comes from the shotgun featured in the Halo franchise, albeit at a different pitch.
- In real life, you would be unable to load shells into the weapon without pressing down on the bolt release button.