Information is definitely out-dated, and you shouldn't really take it to heart.
- "After being locked away behind doors for an eternity the poor Skullguards will finally be able to show off its sp00kiness!"
The Skullguard is a big, not so friendly giant. It is a giant skeleton which is wielding a typical steel sword and wears a Corinthian helmet.
From its apparel just know Skullguards know how to use a sword, so good luck!
When the sinister pumpkin, Lord Pumpkin Jr., had conquered an inhabited volcano filled ghostly entities known as Boos, he used them as means to further his goals towards vengeance. However, when the Boos were defeated and his plans thwarted by the very people that brought down his father, he dabbled in a form of necromancy in order to create his own reliable minion that didn't go down so easily. Using skeletons from warriors of old, he succeeded in resurrecting them, creating massive skeletal creatures aptly named Skullguards.
Lord Pumpkin Jr. then created an even deadlier obstacle course in order to safeguard the portal to his realm. He then placed his new, powerful minions into key locations to hinder the survivor's progress, all the while using the captured Boos to spread mayhem. But as time goes by, not even their combined strength could stop them, and so the guards were relegated to protecting two graveyards. This went on until the vengeful pumpkin was finally defeated, leaving the guards without purpose.
One Skullguard in particular, had enough of such suffering. It festered rage so immense that so few could live to tell the tale.
- They can gain a sudden boost in movement speed, which is indicated by flashing red eyes.
- They are fast, so try sprinting when one is chasing you.
- They can harm you, as well as stun you, leaving you vulnerable to zombies.
- The stun is the more dangerous of the two as it can push you into lava or leave you for dead.
- Note that the Pumpkin's Quest version does not deal any damage.
- It is best to keep your distance from them, as they can catch you off guard, making you an easy target for hordes.
- Somehow, they can be attracted to Pipebombs and Clockbombs. Use them to gain time to run away
- Try to avoid the edge, as you can easily fall in the lava. Once the Skullguards die in the lava, its game over.
- You only have to worry about the latter for Pumpkin's Quest.
- You can use a Fire Extinguisher to push the Skullguards, though it won't trip them.
- Skullguards run away from the Phial of Galadriel, so equip one if you can.
- Skullguards are immune to freeze effects. Try not to use such weapons such as the Ice Gun.
- Skullguards can be pushed into the lava in Pumpkin's Quest, killing them, but leaving the Key out of reach.
- Skullguards are the first mob to have a weapon trail.
- The helmet worn by the Skullguard is a re-textured version of the Deluxe Roman Helmet.
Just in case, here is a link to the Skull Champion.