Walther's Notes - Restored
This note was found mildly shredded in a sidewalk. It has since been partially rewritten through conjecture.
A horrific encounter while experiencing a fleeting good moment of safety. Tucked inside the truck, with that brief relief, everyone inside added supportive fire to the ones outside, making sure nothing gets in the way. A very dangerous duty, but an honourable one - even when you find your guts hanging out of your chest. With just one leap, two infecteds caught two off-guard and relentlessly started to eviscerate. Thankfully we rescued one in time, but the other one had his vest torn off. He was left with his life dangling, dripping, and gushing, with death soon to follow. Certainly morbid than being caught by any other infected - this one torments you 'till the end.
The Leaper is a slow zombie with the ability to pounce on survivors, disarming the survivor and dealing quick damage for the duration of the pin. It makes up for its low speed with its lightning-fast leaps, which can cover a large distance in a very short amount of time. Since a survivor cannot do anything when pinned by a Leaper, it is a fearsome foe for any survivor.
These things are to be one of your highest priorities.
These frail figures are often spotted crawling through the darkness, legs and arms trembling as their thin, frail figure struggles to make it across the floor. Many drop their guard. Lower their weapon. Call for help. Sometimes, they turn their back.
Most, however, shoot immediately. For many know now, after many months, what this hunter in the night is capable of. They've seen the bodies, torn to shreds.
Rumours spread, making many believe that they were from a unknown organisation due to most of them having the same outfit. They had succumbed to the virus, but with their clothing and hunter instinct intact.
Blink, and the Leaper is upon you. You'll barely get a chance to scream.
|Pounce: The Leaper leaps forward at a fast speed, pinning and disarming whoever it lands on. Consumes 10 energy.|
|Rip: Rips the survivor's body dealing 10 HP worth of damage for every hit at a rapid rate.|
Consumes no energy.
- To avoid future Leaper problems, kill them as quickly as you can before they can surprise you later.
- Using third person to shoot them is recommended, as they are much easier to hit.
- Pay attention if a teammate is caught by one and kill them as quickly as you can.
- If a Leaper jumps at you and you don't have ammo, you have these following ways to avoid death.
- Use well-timed punches and kicks to stun and finish them off.
- It is possible to "dead-stop" one by meleeing it in mid-air, but this is extremely difficult.
- Time your jumps to dodge it until it runs out of stamina. It's harder for the Leaper to catch you this way.
- Parkour to higher ground where one can't get you that easily.
- Be warned as they can still jump nearly as high as you can.
- Even if you just barely avoid getting pounced upon, you can still get caught due to lag or hitboxes.
- Use well-timed punches and kicks to stun and finish them off.
- If you happen to have a Fire Extinguisher, and you are alone with a Leaper, stunning the Leaper with the Fire Extinguisher is extremely helpful.
- Keep your distance from a Leaper and stay near other survivors.
- If you are caught by one, you will need your teammates to save you
- Be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for surprises around corners as Leapers often use the element of surprise.
- Using a Pipebomb or Clockbomb will leave this zombie helpless and slow, making it an easy target for it to be picked off.
- Try to run in big circles so it makes the Leaper harder to catch you.
- Leapers have a lack of vertical jump height, so you can use ladders or simply get to higher ground to avoid one.
- You can hear beeps from Leapers that have the C4 upgrade from a distance, use this to your advantage.
- You can also hear how far they are.
- If a Leaper has pinned a teammate, while also having the C4 upgrade, use items that trip or freeze Leapers from afar, such as the Toy Bow, Ice Gun, Ice Sledge, Splashy Washy and Christmas Spear.
- You can also use Ice Bullets, but you might kill accidentally kill the Leaper.
- Leapers can jump higher by looking up.
- If you look up and hold space at the right angle, you can pin down survivors on trees in Panama Beach.
- Looking down will result in you jumping a small distance.
- You could always play the waiting game. You don't have to play aggressively.
- Surprising people from pouncing out from behind a corner is an option.
- Charging towards them while they are distracted by a Brute is also a good opportunity.
- Hold space to cover ground quickly or rush a survivor.
- Use your speed to zig-zag towards the target.
- Try not to have low energy near survivors. Enough misses and you will be totally defenceless.
- You require your prey to be pinned to attack it.
- You cannot break down doors, buildings or windows, so try to get someone else to do it for you.
- If you have the C4 upgrade, you can easily detonate it by resetting.
- This mob, in general, can be considered a replacement for the Hunter from R2D 2014, most likely due to the fact that old R2D zombies couldn't fully stun you.
- This is the first mob to not have a basic attack of any kind.
- The Leaper uses the Legendary Rogue package.
- The first confirmed model of the Leaper can be found here.
- Prior to v0.6.6, the spawn rate for these used to be much higher to the point where it was just an infestation.
- There was a three Leaper limit across every server, but this was removed at an unknown period.
- The energy required for each Leaper jump was decreased from 20 to 10 in v1.1.9.
- Leapers used to have Immunity to the Pipebomb, but this has been removed in v0.6.8.
- There was a glitch in the past where one Leaper could pin 2 survivors at a time.
- The Leaper, Edgar and Stalker are the only zombies that can incapacitate you.
- During DEMO, instead of on pinning survivors to the ground, they clung to them. This was removed because it could make the player fall through the map and die.
- A unique hurt sound was added to the Leaper in v1.1.9.
- The Leaper is similar to the Left 4 Dead Hunter, apart from the fact that the Hunter can jump on walls.
- The C4 upgrade for the Leaper is a reference to the Crawler's C4 item from R2D 2014.