An Axe can be extremely useful in getting rid of zombies that just keep on coming. A single swing can take care of a non-upgraded Normal Zombie, arguably the best thing about the Axe overall. For special mobs, such as a Ticker, this is where this weapon falls short. Their high HP and this weapon's slow swing rate can make killing them a pain.
On top of that, make sure to not pull this out when facing many zombies. You may use up all your stamina killing them all, and then be forced to retreat without being able to run.
When the outbreak was just beginning, most people thought the outbreak was just a minor hoax. When they found out it wasn't a hoax, most of them were unprepared and fell to the ensuing hordes immediately. Those who reacted quickly, however, began to use whatever was close to them. For a lucky minority, their selection included firearms. For almost everyone, their selection was limited to common household items. This included items such as Shovels, Baseball Bats, Knives, and Axes. Of course, Axes are not normally built to be used for relentlessly swinging into fleshy things — often, they were quite unreliable and hard to use, but they were definitely better than nothing. A single swing into the head took care of a threat.
L-Brain Sidework later noticed the issue with the Axes: they were simply too heavy for survivors to carry around. They made the handle of the Axe slightly hollow but added weights to the top to make up for the loss in force. This, in addition to making them easier to swing, also cut down on manufacturing costs.
Most of the veterans nowadays don't use the Axe, due to its unreliability in hoard control. Better weapons such as the Chainsaw have come onto the market.
- Don't use this on special mobs unless you're sure it won't end in your demise.
- Like all the other melees, swinging the Axe will make you invulnerable to all basic attacks. Use this to your advantage.
- Combined with some Prune Juice and either the Tactical II vest or Scout armor, you can easily go on a rampage if you find yourself cornered.
- This does not apply in Rapid Infection, however, as, along with all other melees, Immunity is not given when you swing.
- Due to how sluggish the Axe can be, this is clearly not the ideal weapon to use.
- The more a round goes on, the more an Axe becomes problematic.
- As normal zombies can gain HP due to the Deadvelopment Center, it will take more than one swing to kill one.
- Watch your stamina if you are noticing that these zombies are not being killed instantly.
- Just punch them if they have a sliver of health left.
- Despite the implications, the Flame Attachment cannot heal an Elemental.
- Try to avoid players with melees that trip in Melee Smash.
- You shouldn't use this against a Ticker as it can use Rush, which will most likely kill you.
- You can get this for free after the boat crashes into the island to get Wood, which is required to build a raft.
- You can use the Axe to cut down the Boo Tree in Boo's Holdout, which will stop Boos from spawning.
- Has useful attachments
- High Damage
- Low Ranked
- No Abilities
- No Multi Hit
- Slow Swing Rate
- High Energy Usage
- Energy changed from 6 to 10.
- This was the first, and only so far, pre-release weapon, and also the first melee weapon to get a custom Skin.
- This is referred in-game as the "Fireaxe".
- Prior to v0.8.0b, the Axe would sometimes fling players when they killed a zombie due to colliding with the zombie parts.
- After v1.0.1, the Axe can only deal damage while it is being swung down.